Friday, October 23, 2009

The Red Riding Hood

Our recent Refugee March required making a new style of head covering for me, as a fashion bonnet seemed both inappropriate to the scenario and the temperature - it was cold out that weekend!



I chose to use a design by the ubiquitous Mrs. Jane Weaver, "The Red Riding Hood" from Peterson's Magazine.


Here are the original instructions:



"This hood is the novelty of the season, and while it is both pretty and becoming, it is very simple and easily made. Take three-quarters of a yard of scarlet sack flannel, the finest and most brilliant color that can be procured. Cut off one side to make it perfectly square; round one corner, as seen in the diagram; then have it pinked all round in small scallops, which you will find, will produce a very beautiful effect.



From B to B at about two inches from the edge, sew a casing of narrow ribbon on the underside, also one diagonally from A to a. Run a narrow ribbon in the casings, drawing the one from B to B to fit the face. Fasten it. The one from A to A is to be drawn to suit the head.



If preferred, the hood may be lined with silk so far as the line AA. The point which represents the cape is better not lined"





As is the norm for me, I needed to complete this project with items from my stash, as the nearest fabric store is a two and a half hour drive after a ferry trip.


I tried this hood in scrap fabric to start, not really expecting it to work without some extensive modifications, but I was quite happily surprised - it fit perfectly!


I had some lovely fulled red wool and plaid silk taffeta, which I quilted to another layer of thin wool for the lining. I used cotton twill tape in the casings and stitched them in place once properly adjusted. The ribbon ties are the same silk taffeta as the lining, cut on the bias and the edges finished with red ribbon.


My biggest problem was the pinking - I don't have a period pinking punch. I chose to use my modern pinking shears, as the fuzziness of the wool disguises the modern look to a certain extent.





I am quite pleased with the resulting hood, it fits nicely and was warm without being overwhelming. I ended up removing the trimming bow at the top of the hood, I just didn't care for the way it looked.

3 comments:

  1. absolutely LOVE The HOOD!! AWESOME... now to rummage through the stash..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I've seen this diagram before but have never seen it made up. Yours is beautiful, the plaid really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete