Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Winter Berry


"Winter Berry" is my submission for the final 2012 Art Bead Scene monthly challenge. Here's the inspiration image,"Sleeping Beauty" by Erté, circa 1983:


Erté is perhaps most famous for his elegant fashion designs which capture the art deco period in which he worked. One of his earliest successes was designing apparel for the French dancer Gaby Deslys who died in 1920. His delicate figures and sophisticated, glamorous designs are instantly recognisable, and his ideas and art still influence fashion into the 21st century. 

This particular design reminded me of bright red berries, topped with snow, against a bright blue sky - a familiar winter scene here on Mackinac.


I was most inspired by Beauty's skirt - swirls of red, white, black and grey. I created a very long "beaded bead" in twisted tubular herringbone; the swirls are also present in the trio of hollow glass beads.

I found the clasp on Etsy, created by McDaddio. It's made of anodized aluminum and is the perfect complement to my beadwork - it's also very lightweight.


This is the second month in a row that I've ended up creating rather modern, somewhat stark (for me) necklaces - is it the start of a trend?



Available for purchase here.

3 comments:

  1. I love this necklace and that clasp was certainly a fantastic find for your design. What a fitting celebration of both the Erte print and the winter berries that are so lush and full of color this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome necklace. You matched the Erte print very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color of the clasp and your mix of robust color and delicate beads in your necklace. It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete