Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Loot!

I love to go antiquing, but living on the Island doesn't allow many opportunities to search for hidden treasure.

During a recent long weekend away I was able to indulge and discovered some real beauties, true costume treasures!

Find #1: Five beaded appliques, covered in the tiniest of steel beads. I suspect these will someday make an appearance on an Edwardian evening dress.



Next is a lovely comb and it was a real steal:

Here's why - much of the ornamentation is missing, but I suspect a rummage through my big box of faceted "jet" pieces will supply proper replacements.



The final treasure is a beautiful ostrich plume, the teal color is so fantastic. I don't have a definite plan for this pretty, but I just couldn't leave it behind.


I'm not sure exactly what I enjoy more the "thrill of the hunt" or knowing I have a stockpile of trims and ornaments to complement whatever period outfit I visualize and create next.

3 comments:

  1. so pretty! I love finding treasures like these - you never know when you'll use them, but when you need them there they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the comb!!!! What a GREAT find!!!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beaded appliqués are simply stunning!

    On a side note, I am very excited to be visiting your island in two week's time for the Grand Hotel's Somewhere in Time weekend! You should see one of my evening dresses! I found a one of a kind steel beaded panel, true Edwardian, in Bath, England about 15 years ago, and its finally been restored onto a period correct dress. It's a show stopper!

    ReplyDelete