Friday, January 15, 2010

TRAMPE

There have been many occasions, especially after a long day at work, as we slowly peddle our way up "The Hill" that we have wished for a bicycle version of a ski lift to haul us to the top.


Well it turns out that we weren't they only ones with that wish and someone has done something to improve the relationship between bike riders and steep hills. In Trondheim, the third largest city in Norway, a bike lift has been in operation for over fifteen years!






The TRAMPE is easy to learn to use according to the makers, carrying over 220,000 bike/people since it's installation in 1993 - with no accidents!

Trondheim is characterized by the old town center down by the seashore with a surrounding, terraced landscape formed back in the ice age. On the banks of these terraces, 100-300 m above sea level, we find most of the living areas - sounds rather similar to Mackinac, doesn't it?

The inventors are just starting to market the bike lift to other communities, but I suspect it's just a dream to hope one could be installed on our hilly Island.

3 comments:

  1. hehehe! A fellow reenactor, Stacy Hampton sent me this link on facebook! I just moved from Virginia to Trondheim! Apparently, the bike lift is a lifesaver! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it really is a small world!

    Have you used the bike lift? What's it actually like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not used it because, well... I've not ridden a bike since I was like 13! Last summer a friend of ours was moving and couldnt take her bike so she gave it to me- I rode it around the block some but I'm afraid to take it into town with all the traffic until I'm more accustomed to it. I dont know if you've seen the videos on youtube or not, but there are several and they show how it works! :)

    ReplyDelete