Sunday, February 27, 2011

Night Garden

"Night Garden" is my submission for the February challenge at the Art Bead Scene.

I was really pleased with the inspiration piece, "Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose" by John Singer Sargent.

Sargent is one of my favorite artists and this is a phenomenal painting - the ethereal lighting, the beautiful children framed by a garden just slightly running wild.



I knew from the start I wanted to evoke the duality of the garden, the sense of Victorian restraint combined with the wildness of Nature - but I was quite sure how I would manage that look.
My starting point is the bead embroidered lily. I anchored one side of the lily with very freefrom beading in green and white, a bit of excess with a sense of some restraint.
The other side features a band of rosy right angle weave, resembling a brick walkway. It is joined by some large brass filigree beads and moonstone lampwork beads from catalinaglass - my glowing lanterns, especially the one dangle at the clasp.
This piece is carefully weighted and can be worn with either the wild or the controlled side more prominent - two looks for the price of one!


Available for purchase here.

3 comments:

  1. it is so pretty and i love the work that inspired it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful piece!!! just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That focal is amazing!!! Wow! I love your necklace, too!

    ReplyDelete