Sunday, February 14, 2010

Just a Little Sole - Part Eight - Finished Slippers

As promised, here are the finished slippers:











Please excuse my non-period stockings!



The slippers were a collaboration between my husband and I, my responsibility was the soles, while he created the uppers. They are based on a pattern from the June 1865 edition of Peterson's Magazine.



Here's the image which accompanied the instructions:





The original instructions call for the body of the slipper upper to be done in crochet, with the fluffy trim being knitted. While my husband crochets beautifully, he does not knit. So he improvised a crochet trim that is not as full as the above image, but is a nice complement nonetheless. I did insert elastic around the upper edges as was suggested in the directions - it helped immensely in keeping the slipper on my foot.


I am very pleased with the final product, they fit well, are warm and comfortable and kind of cute. I think.


These slippers have been nearly two years in progress, with most of the time involving research first and experimentation second. It was time well spent, as I now have a great pair of slippers and an increased knowledge of a somewhat obscure aspect of 19th century material culture.


4 comments:

  1. what a great end result! love that you showed us the image you found for the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful,just beautiful! Everything you make is a treasure. I love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need a picture of the soles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ava,

    The soles are pictured in a previous post, Just a Little Sole part seven

    ReplyDelete